When it comes to pop music, there are a few songs out there that cemented themselves in pop history as an anthem. These pop anthems are still listened to this day, it’s because these songs have that ‘wow’ factor which causes people to listen to them, cover them and just love them. This list is more opinion on the ‘best’ ranking of pop anthems than my favorite pop anthems.
Fantasy by Mariah Carey One of Mariah’s best songs. The song is enticing and has a great summer vibe that can be listened to any day of the year. With a wonderful hook that samples Genius of Love and Mariah’s top notch vocals, Fantasy was a stepping stone in Pop/R&B.
Tik Tok by Kesha Trashy, irritating and derivative in the best possible way. Celebrating the party lifestyle, this pop anthem is a love letter to DJs everywhere. Absolutely fun and dirty, the dance track is so infectious that you can’t help, but love it.
Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson One of the best Pop/Rock songs released in the 2000’s. Kelly was able to show off her powerful vocal abilities and prove herself as an artist. Full of energy, charisma and intensity, this pop anthem is one for years and years to come you unashamedly enjoy singing in the shower and car.
Bad Romance by Lady Gaga Gaga’s best track in her discography. Maybe the best-selling experimental Pop song ever. Lady Gaga recorded an infectious dance song incorporating house, New Wave and techno. With an unforgettable avant-garde hook, this song showcases the endless possibilities of what Pop can be.
Beautiful by Christina Aguilera The most known LGBT anthem about self-empowerment and inner beauty. This breathtaking, stripped ballad really showcased Christina’s strong vocals and how a Pop/Gay anthem can be really emotional and deep.
10. Take On Me by A-Ha One of the most beloved singles of the 80’s, this New Wave Pop song still sounds fresh and was far ahead of its time. The synthesizer is very recognizable and so unique, it has become a memorable one hit wonder classic.
9. Wannabe by Spice Girls A pure Pop guilty pleasure masterpiece. Exuding personality and charisma, the world was introduced to girl power when this debuted. Showcasing female friendship and female empowerment, the catchy pop song is the number one girl group song of all time.
8. I Want It That Way by The Backstreet Boys The best boy band song out there. A very lovely Pop ballad that is hard to resist and love. When it comes to songs from boy bands, this genre-transcending classic is the one at the top of the list.
7. Believe by Cher The Mother of Pop made a reinvention to Pop music with this classic. Being the first commercial recording to feature Auto-Tune, Cher scored a global hit. The song and Cher herself cemented themselves into pop culture.
6. …Baby One More Time by Britney Spears Teen bubblegum pop at its best. The song changed what Pop music is and was the pioneer for teen pop. It is remembered as one of the cornerstones in Pop music in general and the perfect introduction to the Pop Princess, Britney Spears.
5. Can’t Get You Out of My Head by Kylie Minogue When it comes to Dance-Pop, this track defines the genre. Kylie made a huge breakthrough in the U.S. and Pop music history and pop culture with this hot unforgettable track. It’s a rare moment in Pop in which the song is extremely catchy, sleek, chic, stylish, danceable and unlike any song in Pop history.
4. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper When it comes to feminism anthem and pop anthems, this song is at the top. A fun song that celebrates strong women, it still has been able to stand the test of time.
3. Like A Virgin by Madonna An undeniable classic that helped define the 80’s and Pop music in general. Catapulting Madonna into a Pop music and pop culture sensation. Like A Virgin is an absolute iconic Pop anthem that defines what a female Pop artists should be.
2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson There never will be a song like this one. When it comes to Michael Jackson, this song is the one that comes on top. The recognizable bass line, just the sheer perfection and the eternalness, this song will forever be cemented in Pop music history.
1. Dancing Queen by ABBA A classic that established itself as a Disco, Gay and Pop anthem. The sublime melody, unshameful joy and wonderful harmonies, Dancing Queen is perfect Pop at its best. Undeniably stellar and memorable, the song has its own legacy and it’s, the best Pop anthem in history.
There are many pop songs that come and go, but these songs cemented themselves as a Pop anthem and they will never be forgotten. What songs do you find as a Pop anthem? Comment below.